Timing/Idle problems

My 77 Bug w/ stock FI, seems to run rough. I timed it with a timing light and tach. But when I do that, it idles very rough and lacks power. If I increase the RPM, the idle is more smooth, but it sounds extremely high. Also, it will misfire when accelerating.

I've done the following with no improvement:

- changed points

- cleaned dist cap

- check all vac hoses

- checked the dist vac

Another question what does the condenser do and how do I know if it's bad?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

Condensor makes a stronger spark (and maakes points last). If bad, spark will be tiny and the FI probably won't fire.

Weak spark can cause misfire under load.

Check that the vac diaphragms in the distrib are working. Suck on each hose and watch advance plate move to the stop and stay there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You might check to make certain the hoses at the manifold are tight. I've seen cases where they were loose and letting in air. That really made idling a problem even to the point of stalling.

Reply to
ccr

Also....... Did you check the compression? Did you adjust the valves? Did you change the oil and air filter? Did you adjust the CO in the Air Flow Box? Did you check the fuel injector seals for vacuum leaks?

Try to isolate which cyl>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1