transmission/axle problems? HELP !!

Happy holidays everybody !!

Recently while getting my sandrail ready for my next trip I have been dialing in the dual carbs on my rebuilt performance motor.Well while on one of my trips around the block I noticed a very loud clunking sound while driving in any gear.The clunking sound is a spaced clunking sound,not a fast paced immediate clunking..This just started and has not gone away! It does make this noise sitting still revving the motor but it does do it while traveling down the road. I lifted the rear end while the motor was running and put it in gear.I revved the motor and did faintly hear the clunking.I left it in gear and went to the drivers rear wheel which was not turning like the passenger rear wheel.I grabbed the tire and felt for the vibration of the clunking sound that I've been hearing and I could feel it!SOMEONE HELP !

Thank you, Rick

Reply to
Burnett

If it is a '69 or later rear end, it will be IRS, which means that it will have CV joints...you are describing CV Joint failure...I had a similar issue with my WCVW a few years ago...the fix is to install a new CV joint or axle.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

sorry,it says it does it while sitting still-IT DOES NOT..........Only when in gear

Reply to
Burnett

This is a swing axle transmission 4.37 close ratio with heavy duty sideplate and super diff.I'm using the Jamar cable shifter that came with the car...I bought this trans.brand new(rebuilt) last summer with only about five trips around the block this fall !! Basically just dialing everything in until I got this problem.............

Reply to
Burnett

Check a similar thread in this group from December 16th about clunking. It may apply to your situation.

I have been

motor.Well while on one

clunking sound while

clunking sound,not a fast

gone away! It does

does do it while

it in gear.I

it in gear and

the passenger rear

clunking sound

Reply to
Busahaulic

So; I take it to my friend that builds trasmissions and he told me we'll need to take it apart!! Looks like I'll be hounding the shop that I bought it from....... If they aren't cooperative I'll be posting their name here so everyone will know to stay away from them.

Reply to
Burnett