Transmission install, not sure it's in neutral in '69 Beetle

I was screwing around with rebuilt trans before I put it in the car, pushed the little shift end on it all the way in. I moved it back out again a bit before putting it in but now I don't know if it is in neutral when I put it in. After putting it in:

1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th feel very close together but different...but could be my imagination. So after I start the car up for the first time hopefully all is normal. If not I would guess I'll have to take the hand shift lever out for repositioning?
Reply to
kerfoker

as long as you were able to line up the shift coupler to the transaxle and put the setscrew in, you are fine...not to say the shifter won't need any adjusting, because it might...there is very little adjustment there, and you don't have to remove the shifter to do so, just loosen the two 13mm bolts...try it as is first...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I finished hooking up the motor today and the shifting works fine. I thought the directions telling me both the trans and the shifter should be in neutral before the install meant I was in trouble. Thanks!

Reply to
kerfoker