Trouble with third gear

Here is one for you....I am using a bug transmission with a cable shifter tin my Beck Spyder hat has worked really well. Recently, however, I has been getting more difficult going from second to third. A few times I could not finesse it in at all. I have to rev high and shift from second to third rapidly, not hard, rapidly. It downshifts great from fourth to third however. All other gears work well.

Any ideas. If it was the syncro it should still go in if I match rpm with speed, and it would make a difference downshifting to third also I would think/

Questions? Answers?

it is a swing axel by the way. Clutch is excellent, etc.

Thanks, Joe Gliebe

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

Yeah; doesn't sound like synchro.

Suppose the cable mech is not "rotating" the shift lever (inner) quite enough for 3rd. It may stall then between the 2/3 and 3/4 selectors.

Can you get at the front of the nosecone to watch the rotation while shifting?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

Are such cable shifter setups available somewhere? -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

From virtually every VW/buggy performance companies. CB performance, CHIRCO, etc

Reply to
<josephgliebe

This is tricky, especially for those not familiar with cable shifters. As in all things that move, some metal wear will occur, same goes for the moving parts of a cable shifter and everything else that moves to shift gears in the tranny. Looks like a small amount of wear on this system amounts to an non-proportional effect on the movement in the tranny shift mechanism. Looks like the rotation was just a little too much and I was shifting as before over rotating the mechanism in the nosecone. After several disassemblies and reassemblies, I finally got it back to where it was before and do not expect this to happen again anytime soon, since the parts have now been "worn in". Thanks for the clue about "rotation" Speedy Jim. That was the key.

I now REALLY understand this system.

Joe Gliebe

550 Spyder 1914 with 40mm dual webers 110 cam MOFOCO 044 heads and all other appropriate mods.

Now to concentrate on my cooling system

Joe

Reply to
<josephgliebe