Tryanny Year, How Do I Find The

How do I find out the year of my tranny? Is there a number on the side and is there a cross reference chart somewhere? If so where? I have a 1973 VW Beetle. I had a rebuilt tranny installed in August 1996. I think I remember the Sevice Manager saying he got it from One Stop Machining in Downey, CA and that it was from a 1972 Super Beetle? So if it is a 1972 tranny I should use 1972 tranny mounts even though the vehicle is a 1973 right? Thanks! Joe jp73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Just had the same ?

Look opposite the fill plug on the side. Here is a picture.

Go to
Transaxle Forum and dig around plenty of info to be had

Reply to
Mark

Opps my bad.. Go here

This is the moderator of the trans forums website

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The 72 uses the 2 bolt nosecone. The 73 uses a 3 bolt nosecone and mount. You can place a 73 and later tranny into a 72 and earlier with a special mount, but not the other way. For the other direction, you need to change nosecones.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Dave is correct; in addition you must swap the "rear" mount (the rubber cushions and the sheet metal frame). '73 and up used the monster bolts in the frame horns.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim