type 3 & carbs q.

Are there carburetors that fit a type 3 engine in a Square back. the station wagon, circa 1970. ????

Reply to
BananaRepublican

I have a set of Type 3 carbs from about 1973 that i will sell you for 50.00 plus shipping. they need to be rebuilt but otherwise in good shape.remove the no spam to email me. thanks Kasoma Duplantis

Reply to
snpboy

I have extra cross bar linkage -just the rod or shaft (maybe 1 1/2 feet?) - Ya can have it for cost of postage - guess $4-5 (or pick up if local to No VA) . I'm pretty sure if is for T3 - it came with some T4 carbs I bought and is way different. Remove the obvious to reply.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I've got a set that came off a 66 type III. I'm thinking they are stock webers but I'm probably wrong. Single port, with all the intakes, linkages, filters, ect. What are they worth? I gave them to a vw mechanic friend who gave me a bunch of type I stuff I needed for my project and he said if I could find a buyer, sell them. He said they should be worth about $100 for both with all the stuff. The looked and felt good and would probably be fine after a cleaning and kit. I'll go get numbers and try to email you pics if you're interested. Let me know what you think they are worth.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

the question remains , will carbs fit under the floor in a squareback?

Reply to
BananaRepublican

There are, but I'm gonna guess that you're thinking in this direction because you're having trouble with your FI and can't figure out how to get it working right again. Many people go the carb route for this same reason.

Unfortunately, the swap to carbs seldom goes as well as people hope, so this almost always spells the end of the car.

The good news is that the FI is usually cheap and easy to fix once you get some hints. There are almost NO repair shops out there who still remember how to work on the D-Jetronic FI, so you have to do this yourself, which is the best approach anyway.

If you're interested in fixing this, go to:

and sign up for the type 3 email list. It is free and totally non-commercial. There is LOTS of help available on that list for both FI and carbs. At least if you decide to make the switch to carbs you can have good advice on the best choices to make.

And, just to be clear, there ARE bad choices that you could make.

-

Jim Adney

There's no question about it. VW made OE type 3s with both single and dual carbs right up to the end of production in '73. Only FI type 3 were imported into the US from 68-73, but many other parts of the world were stuck with carbs.

Of course all the OE carb setups fit quite nicely under the floor. Aftermarket carbs can also be fit under there, but they don't fit quite as nicely.

-

Jim Adney

thanks for the advice, Jim.

Reply to