type IV engine reinstall

helping a friend put the engine back in his vw van (73). we got the engine up and bolted it to trans, but he hasn't put the rear engine mount bar on! what is the minimum to get the bar in there? it looks like maybe one heater-box will allow us to get the bar in? or maybe pull the fan+box ? matt

Reply to
restorativetouch

Ugh! I think I'd yank it out again. Start taking stuff off the engine and I guarantee "something" will break that you didn't expect.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

We got the bus on a lift, removed the left side heater box (4 exhaust bolts, 2 tin screws that hold it to the fan box, 1 clamp that holds to duct in front, 1 bolt that holds it to duct in "rear"). The support bar slid right into place, bolted it back up (and he put antiseize on the exhaust studs like I suggested)..It took about 20 minutes. Matt

Reply to
restorativetouch

LOL Good for you! I love a happy ending...

Reply to
Speedy Jim