Type question

I'm confused.

Exactly what is the type III vw? I was thinking it was the fastback but now someone is telling me that it's the Gia.

Reason I ask. My dune buggy has a type III motor or it was till I changed it and the front end is from the same car. This is a long body copy of a Manx buggy. '66 motor and front. Was the frame the same on the Beetle and Gia or whatever type I have in '66?

No real reason, just wondering and thought it might generate some interesting discussion.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Type I's were the bug and the Ghia Type II's are the bus chassis.. ie bus, kombi, camper, single-cab, double-cab, etc... Type III's were a line that included a fastback, notchback and squareback. .. and here's where it gets confusing, type IV's were also available in a fastback and squareback. then another story entirely.. Type 181 was the Thing.

notable about the type III's is they have the "pancake" engine arrangement instead of upright. This required different shrouding, generator stand, etc in order to fit under the rear floor or trunk floor of the car.

Reply to
Ed B

Thats what I thought. Were the type III the same frame as the Beetle? < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

The type 3 uses a wider frame. It's very similar to the Type 1 Karmann Ghia and the Type 181 Thing. Andy

Reply to
Busman

the type 181 was a type 1...

there was a type 3 ghia also...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

The Ghia you're familiar with is a type 1; it has the same basic mechanicals as the Beetle. There IS a type 3 Ghia, but you've probably never seen one. Almost everything in the front axle beam, pan, rear suspension, and engine is different between type 1 and type 3 cars.

Here's a fairly complete explanati> TYPES OF CARS

-

Jim Adney

My understanding that Type 3 Ghia is the razoredge ? if so, we have a splattering over here. Very nice cars.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Yes, there are a few, and they are greatly loved and admired by all who know them well.

-

Jim Adney