1966 Beetle AM Radio Question

Hi! I am the new owner of a '66 Beetle with the stock AM radio, which does not work at the momnent. The Beetle was converted to 12 volt and I assume the radio is 6. Is there a way to get the stock radio to work? Is there a voltage regulator or some such gizmo that I could wire up? Evenutally I'll be putting in a real stereo in the glove box, but I'd like to get the old AM radio running.

thanks in advance!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Have this chap repair or swap or whatever he's willing to do for you:

I got a nice 6V 1961 SAPPHIRE AM radio from him and I was happy with his workmanship.

Reply to
Red Bug

You can use a packaged voltage regulator, like the LM7805 series. Mounted on a heat sink, or even the back of the radio chassis, it will supply enough current. (Small circuit mod to produce 6V instead of 5V.) I've done this before.

You might even find components at Radio Shack. Requires a little electronics experience...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

only one thing to do.... just box it up and send it to me ; ) oh yeah it will find its way into my dash - working or not.... so you wouldnt be getting it back. BTW - is it a correct 1966 radio with all the right chrome and knobs?... just askin ... just in case you "did" want to get rid of it : ) mine has a non-working 12 volt 1968 am radio in at the present time

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver
Reply to
dragenwagen

Ha! Well, I'll seriously consider your generous offer!

And yes it's original. Sapphire III with gorgeous chrome knobs etc.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am a total newbie with this bug, so I am sure I will be back with more questions before long!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Saturday, January 22 2005, @ 8:51 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hi Roy,

The simplest thing to do, of course, is to just get a 12V Sapphire from one of the fellows in this group.

However, converting your original 5V to 12V is not hard, but will take a few measurements and some simple math..

You'll need an ammeter. You may already have one as part of a VOM (volt-ohm-meter), or you can do the following. Take the old radio to a battery shop; you don't need an antenna or speaker. Just ask the guy to hook it up to a 6v battery and measure the current it draws. It shouldn't be a lot, maybe 1 to 3 amps max.

Now, knowing the current draw on 6V, do the math. As an example, just say your radio draws 2 amps, O.K.? It will also draw 2 amps from your

12V system, but 1/2 of the 12 volts you have need to be "dropped" in a resistor you must add. To figure the size of the resistor, in ohms, just divide the voltage you want to drop (6V) by the current the radio draws (2A in this example). Therefore R = 6/2 = 3 ohms. Now you know the "ohmage" you'll need. You next must determine how much power, in watts, that this dropping resistor will dissipate. Calculate P(watts) = volts times current, or P = 6 X 2 = 12 watts. For safetys sake, DOUBLE the wattage needed to around 24 watts. Go to a Radio Shack store, or some on-line parts house, and locate a 3 ohm WIREWOUND resistor; a standard size will likely be 20 watts or 25 watts. Either is fine. This type resistor should come with two small mounting brackets; one will slip in to each end of the resistor (it looks like a fat hollow tube, and is about the size of a 1/2 smoked small cigar). If possible, use two sheet metal screws and mount this power resistor on the very back of the chassis, but only if it will NOT be "pressed against" anything when the radio is mounted in the dash. The resistor will get fairly warm when the radio is "On" and you don't want it touching anything flammable. Other than making sure it has "ventilation space" around it, its perfectly safe and should last for many years.

Like I said, the EASIEST thing to do is just buy a 12V radio. but, buying a wirewound power resistor would be a lot cheaper.

I have a restored '67 Bug and replaced the original Sapphire IV AM radio with a very hard to find Sapphire VI AM/FM radio. It cost me $350 to buy it and get it working again and MY Bug is 12V, not 6. I think, in your case, a resistor would cost about $4 or so.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Jim See my Bug and many fotos for sale at:

P.S. If you do not like "sound effects," switch OFF your speakers before visiting my web site.

Reply to
Jim

I just sold my '74 sb with the original radio, kid had put in a stereo cd and I doubt the new owner will use the saphire.

Don't know if it'll help you but you're welcome to it. I bought a buggy thats based on a 66 type III 6v. It has an am/fm stereo and I assmue at this point it's 6v, everything else is. I'm changing it to 12v and the radio will be coming out. You can have it if ya want it.

Peace, < TC

Reply to
Tcrdn11