VW Museum in Wolfsburg

I am planning to visit Munich in September this year for the Beer Festival. While I am in Germany I would like to visit the VW museum. What would be the best way to get to the VW museum in wolfsburg from Munich (and cheapest). I would probably be coming from Manchester or London before stopping at Munich.

Where is Wolfsburg anyway? I can't seem to find it on the map.

Reply to
T.Royle

See you have your priorities straight the beer is the best reason to visit Germany...lol

you will be very close when your in Munich, I would suggest taking the train, it will give you a very quick veiw of southern Germany

Reply to
Kafertoys

Less than 100 kilometers east from Hannover.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Very close being more than 500km !!

Wolfsburg is in a different country. :-)

About 30 km NE of Braunschweig/Brunswick. It's about 5.5 hours by ICE (intercity express) train. Cost about 100 Euro.

If you plan to hire a car (not a good mix with beer), then it's about the same time for about 600km mostly on the Autobahn each way if you're reasonably lucky with traffic. 60 litres of fuel will cost about about 1.2 Euro per litre (don't convert; you'll cry); which works out to about the same as train fare.

Buying a German Rail Pass before you leave home may be a good investment... it allows for travel throughout Germany for 4 to 10 days in a month (from first train trip); you only pay express train and reservation surcharges.

An alternative to taking the express train is to catch a night train (costs more; how much depends on the facilities). That's save you the cost of an over-night stay somewhere but there's no guarrantee that you'll get any sleep! You'd arrive before 7 in the morning but should be able to sniff out a bakery for some lovely fresh bread.

See

The bad news is that there's not much left to see in Wolfsburg, aside from the AutoMuseum (3 hours is plenty for that). VW's perversion of Disneyland awaits the sucker tourist. See if you can wangle a factory tour without paying the Earth.

Bernd Felsche

Yeah....but picture this.....: NO SPEED LIMIT ......

So, the train would be half the fun.... ;-)

Oh...watch out for Porsche's, BMW's and Mercedeses if you're in the left lane. Sometimes you check your rear-view mirror...no car behind you........, a second later you check your rear-view mirror....voila!! A Porsche right behind you like it appeared out of nowhere....

On some places you'll have a speedlimit, then it's 120 km/h (=about 80 mi/h) .

I've traveled to Wolfsburg in my beetle (so no high-speed driving, 120 km/h tops..) and I've had a nice time.

The "Autostadt" is expensive and you need two days to see it all...BUT most of the paviljons (every brand of Volkswagen: Skoda, Bentley, Lambourgini, audi, Seat has a building) contain art....not what I was expecting... But there is a "time-house" in which a lot of old cars are, including some nice prototypes (also the one of the beetle) . So, go there one day, and just see the time-house, and take the factory tour ( I saw a piec of the coach-building plant, where they welded the Golf together).

And then there is the VW museum which is NOT in Autostadt, but a couple of blocks away from the Factory. This is a must see. All sorts of beetles (also a hebmuller and some war-time cars) .

Here is Wolfsburg:

original url:

(Duitsland)&resx1=1983780&resy1=1516876&resseltype2=2&rescountryid2=3&resplaats2=Wolfsburg&resplaatsid2=37891&reslat2=52.420692&reslon2=10.787903&resdescr2=Wolfsburg+(Duitsland)&resx2=1890647&resy2=1982967&key=B2F62A2D4CC2791562

Have fun!

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
Gerrelt

Like everyone said Wolfsburg is a long ways away.. the train would be my best recommendation. I saw both the autostadt and the museum.. both were impressive. I recommend the whole day for it. I hope you have a good time.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972