Well, it's back out. And this time I mean business.

It's been a long time since I even looked at it but finally some progress. The first time it took me and my buddy around 10 days to free all the rusty nuts and bolts and buggered tin from the westy.

This time round it only took me around four hours by myself to have the whole damned thing completely out and, with my friend's help, in the back of my work van ready to go to the shop.

I'm going to take it to a local shop called W Motors on brunette street in New Westminster, B.C. and see if they can get the bottom end working just a wee bit better than I did. Not that it was entirely my fault, Yes I should've used some plastiguage when building it, but the machine shop should've mic'd my crank and conrods like I told them to. But oh well it's all OK in the end cuz I ain't payin for it.

Now here's a question for you, Should I be concerned that I thought I smelt a hint of gasoline contamination in my oil when I drained it? Seems strange since it's fuel injected.....

Anyhoo, I'm pleased with the way all of my fastners held up for the whole 1200 kilometers I got out of it before it started rumbling, Only managed to skin one knuckle!

Hoping I will soon have a digital camera up and running and will be able to take some pics of the motor going back in as well as the interior re-clean (Knew I shoulda changed those seals before monsoon season hit, god I hate cleaning mould....) And the newly retrimmed rear seats. Hope all is well with everyone!

Scott "Old volkswagens don't leak oil they just mark their spot." "I may only have 75 hp but at least I can have sex in mine mustang boy!";P

Reply to
westfaliaguy

Now that the engine's out and the oil drain pan is gone - do you still smell the gasoline? Stick your finger in the gas filler and feel around for a tear in the rubber elbow. That's usually the culprit. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic