what oil is recommended for my 69 beetle?

My bug has a stock 1600cc motor and i was wondering what oil i should use to put in it.

Reply to
69vwdude

I use 10-50.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

The owner's manual for the Mexican type 1 calls for 15w40. Of course that is not a cold climate. George

Reply to
George

I have always used Castral 20w 50 could Ihave been wrong for 24 years

Reply to
Kafertoys

That's what I've used as well, although now I'm using the Castrol $$yntec.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I use single weight SAE30 in the summer and 10-40 in the winter. Works fine for me...

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Castrol 20W-50 in both my '66 and '69. Always used it in my aircooled VW's for the past 22 years.

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver
Reply to
dragenwagen

I have a stock 1600cc DP in my 1973 Beetle.

In really cold weather or at least when it is always below 85 degrees F, I use Castrol 10W 30.

For moderate weather, or when it is always over 50 degrees F, I use Castrol 20W 50.

When it gets real hot, or when it gets to be over 90 degrees F and up, I use Castrol 30HD.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

What is the reason to use a multigrade oil? My 1970 VW Karmann Ghia manual says to use straight weith SAE30 for all the temperatures that I drive in. I thought you weren't suppose to use multigrade oil in a VW.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On 27 Jul 2004 15:55:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net (Brian Turner) ran around screaming and yelling:

in those "days" multigrades were not very popular or perfected yet....oil technology has "come a long way" so they say... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Bob Hover had an awesome sermon about oils. Had the link but lost it when my kids crashed my PC. Maybe one of the guys may have it. Personally I used to use a straight 30W but have been using Castrol

20W-50 for 3 years and have had no troubles.

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Is this the one?

His sermons are available here :-
Was reading them just the other day, fantastic stuff.

Peace, Antony

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Yep! That's it. Thanks!!