what year engine?

This is a tuffy!! I bought a 1960 bug with a "new" 1600 D.P.,, i wanted to get the year engine,,, but to my surprise,, there is no ID number on the engine underneath the oil filler,,,is there anywhere else on the case to get the #? Is this a unique case? after market? anyone ever heard of this before??

Reply to
AXL

Possibly a Mexican engine? I also remember hearing that some factory reconditioned engines didn't have the normal engine numbers.

Reply to
fred67bug

That's like my 70 bug's engine case. I got it years ago and it could be a dreaded GEX case for all I know. It's worked well and doesn't leak at all so I have no complaints. Must have 100K miles on it by now.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

perhaps in-line with the mating surface @ the top of the case!

Reply to