Where Can I Get a 80-85C Bellows Type Thermostat?

Where can I get a 80-85C bellows type thermostat?

My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock thermostat.

This is mostly due to me taking short trips.

In moderate and cold weather I want to use a stock F.I. Thermostat.

Thanks In Advance!

Reply to
Jim Ed

I think you're just going to have to put a wanted add out on the Samba, nobody specifically has that temp range thermostat in stock that I could find.

Reply to
OllieW

I have 2 spare almost new barely used 65-70C bellows thermostats.

I was thinking of painting one of them with hi temp engine paint to see if it would take a little longer to open.

Agree or disagree I am open to suggestions.

My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock

Reply to
Jim Ed

if your engine is running cold, from short trips, a higher rated thermostat is not a fix for the problem

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Agreed. That's just air across your heads and barrels.

If, by chance, you have an external oil cooler, you could try adding a thermal bypass inline with it. That helped me as I wasn't getting above

155°F on cold days for highway driving due to my cooler being really good.

David Gravereaux

$90 for a relatively simple part like an oil thermostat seems like a lot of money. And it's not like Aircooled.net is selling it for a lot more than other retailers are. I've never taken the one I have apart but from what I gathered from the parts salesman I talked to, the part is an aluminum(?) body with a retaining ring holding a spring and a couple of valves inside it. If I'm mistaken I would like to hear about it.

When the oil is cold it makes a U-turn path in and out. As the oil warms up it takes a straight-through path to the external oil cooler and then out the cooler and back again through the thermostat. The warmth of the oil is what opens the valve.

I bought mine in 2003 for $48.50 from Bugpack and thought the price was high then. Now it's 85% more.

I bought an inkjet printer for just under $70 a few years ago and that is whole lot more complicated than an oil thermostat. I guess economies of scale has something to do with that.

Reply to
Randall

No, I do not have one of those.

I only have the stock flaps and thermostat.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Jim Ed

It is very important for the engine to reach operating temperature to run at peak efficiency.

I think I will try my new style/ 'Mexican Style' thermostat again.

If it warms up that fast, I could re-install the 1.5 quart oil sump so it will have a more than adequate oil supply going fast around corners and up steep hills.

Is it true that the VDO cockpit oil temp gauges need to be calibrated by adding about 30F ?

Reply to
Jim Ed

I still find stock thermostat at the swap meets for $5 or $10. I've even fixed a few broken ones using Bartnik's technique. Last year I tried a Mexican version and it worked fine too, but I took it back out since it'll fail in the closed position as opposed to the originals. Then again, the Mexican one would probably last 20 years without failing....

Reply to
OllieW