Who passed thermodynamics 101?

Nope! The front settup has been used for more years than what one can remember, from Autobahn haulers to full on track cars...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Getting an aircooled motor to do what you describe would be no small feat, utopia comes to mind... Mr.Hoover once wrote something along the lines of: "Cooling fins the size of car doors".

I take this is written with humour in mind though...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Ps. I actually did pass my Thermodynamics, and Combustion chemistry... Some 100.000 pints ago......

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Like jjs noted, I gotta use nickies if my irons don't dissipate well:

Increasing the fin area doesn't improve how iron transfers heat though.

Somewhat..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

No it does not improve HOW iron transfers heat, it improves the total ability to loose heat as in larger surface area = more BTU's able to be shed.....

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

The equation used to express heat transfer by conduction is known as Fourier?s Law and is expressed as:

q = k A dT / s

where

q = heat transferred per unit time (W)

A = heat transfer area (m²)

k = thermal conductivity of the material (W/m.K or W/m.°C)

dT = Temperature difference across the material (K or °C)

s = material thickness (m)

Yeah, change A and things improve. Change k and things change too.

iron has a k of 60 W/m°C aluminum is 250

Copper has a k of 400! But is much too soft.. aww! Note that greater thinkness (travel) for big fins ruins q.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Thanks very much for that, David. I'll look into it. I owe you a favor.

Reply to
jjs