WTB: bone-stock intake bits for the Wonderbus

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that I want to keep the Wonderbus's new engine bone-stock. It's a 1600 DP. I'm seeking every darn parts that connects to the intake ports on the heads up through the air cleaner. Carb, boot, mounting parts, everything.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...unless you can get yer grimtlil paws on it and do some shaft wigglin (and I'm sure you'd enjoy the process..) you may wish to consider buying a new carb. The majority of the used ones I come upon have worn throttle shaft bushings....this leads to an air leak causing a lean non-tuneable condition. As for the intake manifold center section....as long as you are assured the heat risers are unclogged you should be fine with a used one. The end castings are invariably fine used....simply re-surface them with a piece of wet dry sand paper on a piece of glass to assure they are flat. You *will* want to go with a stock german muffler as well to retain proper flow through the heat risers. It looks like you are one vert away from an enjoyable project since you seem to now have a ready supply of 1776 build parts available

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Another thing to add is you need to either look for an intake that has the large port for the brake booster, or install one yourself.

HMMM,, whats gonna happen to the K-dogs???? Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Uh . . .

Mark Detro wrote:

Oh, right. Say -- I think I need a whole shopping list to make sure I get all the right stuff. Add to this as need (goal: stock parts for 72 bus)

ONE Carb (good-quality used or new -- that's a 34 PICT3 with throttle positioner?) ONE base gasket for above, ONE air cleaner, ONE manifold, dual-port, with brake booster port and heat risers, TWO manifold ends (R and L), ONE intake manifold boot -- what kind?

What else do I need?

--------

I dunno. Where's the best place to sell them? eBay? I find eBay thoroughly confusing.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Screw the throttle positioner. Or if you buy a new carb it comes with the positioner. You will need two manifold boots btw, plus the four clamps that hold it on. Do you also have the proper diz for the 34-3 Carb? It is the "push/pull" type. In which case for ultimate reliability you can get a Compufire or similair ignition module. I think you will be pleased with the results. With the stock set up you will have much better reliability than in the past.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

ahem....two...

and clamps for them

gonna need gaskets...i like these...:

muffler

peashooters for muffler...

other stuff:

you will *have* to find the stock aircleaner(oil bath) used...i know you didn't necessarily want a bunch of links, but they may help....

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
ilambert

Cripes -- I drifted a year. You're right!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:34:22 -0400, Gary Tateosian scribbled this interesting note:

All this is true. It is also true that a good carburetor shop will rebuild the carburetor, with new throttle shaft bushings included, and warranty their work, for a fraction of the cost of a new carburetor. If you need ideas on where to find a carburetor shop, look in your phone book, or try looking in Hemmings Motor News, there are always ads there as well.

John Willis

Thanx for the advice! Anyone got a used Type 34 carb they want to sell? I could use JB Weld or RTV to close that leak in the bushing anyway. Oughta last for a while.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

[snipped etc., etc.]

Thanks for the list-o-rama, Chris.

I got a manifold and intake bits and air cleaner and the hose that connects from cleaner to carb and clamps and stuff from Bustedbus.com, all in very good condition, cleaned and freshly-painted. New carb and some gaskets just now ordered from aircooled.net

Just in case anyone is wondering, is all . . .

Probably have to wait until September to install the engine, though. Is this taking forever or what?

We're preparing to depart in a week for a longish camping tour up the northern California coast line to the McKenzie river just east of Eugene, Oregon. Gonna be taking my temporary daily driver 84 Vanagon Westphalia, which I've gotten kind of fond of. It's a funky boxy affair that weighs about six million pounds. Was visiting a friend a few days ago and his driveway is surfaced with about 2 feet of the stuff you find piled around railroad ties. Westy got kind of bogged down, dug itself a couple of holes for the rear wheels. This is why, I suppose, some prefer the 4WD version. That said, it's a cozy little setup for camping. Been having fun refurbishing it. Not to discuss water-cooled stuff here in RAMVA or anything heretical.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

not taking forever at all...you are taking your time and doing it right...heck i bought a used longblock from a fellow dub lover about a year ago...bought all the parts and finally got around to tearing into the longblock six months ago...it is pretty much done, but i lack the time to work on the vw much these days....so no, you are not taking forever....*I* am...LOL...i delayed the engine work so i could do the bodywork that needed to be done...it *started* as replacing the rear apron and decklid that was damaged in a light collision in July of 03!!!! now i am in the middle of stripping the 36 years worth of repaints off this car....what a pain..heh