1986 740 Indicators and starting

About a week back the engine would turn over, but no ignition. Eventually it did start and I dismissed it as a one-off.

Turns out the car is getting tetchy with cooler weather. I notice the indicator lights across bottom of instrument panel do not come on when key is turned to the right. If I turn the key and let it sit eventually the lights come on and the engine starts first or second rev. Runs fine until it's been left to cool a bit, same experience.

Ideas? Is this possibly sticky relay or ingnition switch?

Reply to
goonersforever

Ignition switch is likely. Check the engine wiring harness while you're at it, if it's original, it'll be crumbling inside the sheath. Pretty much every Volvo made between about '80 and '88 will have this.

Reply to
James Sweet