Occasional starting problem in 2004 Civic

This is about my son's 2004 Honda Civic LX. On occasion, a turn of the key won't start the engine. Lights and other stuff work, as they would if key were in the "accessory" position -- just not the engine. No click of starter solenoid. After several turns of the key it starts, once in a while as many as 20, but usually only 3 or 4. Two weeks ago he got a new battery.

And this is odd: It seems to be dependent to how long it has sat. My son works at his apartment and shops "big," so that he has groceries for two weeks. If the car has sat that long, it won't start. Taking it in to the shop is useless because if he tries to start the car soon after pulling in, of course, it starts.

I am thinking a cheap test would be a starter relay. But the various sites I have seen have different relay locations. For example,

it, but the sites
't show a starter relay at all! And to add insult to injury, the stupid owner's manual has only one relay. Sheesh.

Anyway, can someone point me to a good 2004 Civic LX diagram?

Reply to
Tim Murray

Tim:

It could also be the ignition switch itself or the neutral safety switch.

More info;

HTH&GL

John

Reply to
John Dulak

On Feb 14, 2021, John Dulak wrote (in article <kX9WH.37474$ snipped-for-privacy@fx43.iad):

Thanks for that link. I lost my circuit tester a few years ago and wanted a valid reason to get another.

Reply to
Tim Murray

Had to have my ignition switch changed on my 98 CRV for similar problem. Ignition switch problems on Hondas are a known issue.

Reply to
oldtimer

On Mar 24, 2021, oldtimer wrote (in article <BWL6I.76567$ snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad):

I am great with mechanical things and I have tools out the wazoo. Is putting in a new switch something a mere mortal can do? But then again, if I mess it up, the car would have to be towed.

Reply to
Tim Murray

My mechanic replaced this switch in 20 minutes. I have no idea what he did. I got the kit ordered on the internet 10 years ago when my ignition switch began failing. I just gave my mechanic the kit and $75 later I was on my way. The new kit is colored red and is still working fine 10 years later.

Reply to
oldtimer