1987 Volvo 740 GLE Non-turbo Crankshaft Bearings Knocking

Yes that's entirely true, I'm not arguing against that, just saying that there's an abundance of good condition motors out there that can be given a new life, no sense in wasting time rebuilding one if you can find one that's already got plenty of life left in it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for all of the good info. I'm in my mid-30's and just sold a perfectly good 2001 Honda Accord EX in order to cut expenses and purchase a house in the coming months.

I saw this car for $500 bucks offered by a Professor at the local college. I grabbed it thinking if it got me to work and back for 3 months, it would have served it's purpose. The car looked really neglected.

Then I cleaned it...

Suddenly the car looked amazing! With a little detail the exterior and interior looked almost new. I needed a few things: headliner, tires, shocks, etc., but those were minor.

The engine had this front and rear oil leak, mainly due I think to a neglected breather box and flame trap. We got that in shape, updated the ignition system and she is supposedly running like a charm -- with a knock.

So, my thoughts are no longer that this is a 3 month temp car, but a car I want to restore to the best condition possible and put another

100,000 miles on. In my mind, if everything else on the car looks and works well, why not have an engine that is perfectly solid?

In sum, I want an engine and drive train that I know will let me take

400-500 mile road trips a few times a year, and that the core is solid so I can begin to update all of the peripherals and bells and whistles.
Reply to
jamiebabineaux

A bit early for this now, but here's a tip on the headliner. If this is a sedan, have the windshield removed to get the headliner in/out otherwise while it can be done, you'll be cursing and swearing up and down that there's no possible way to get it in or out without breaking it in half.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hmmm, well, it needs a new windshield because of a crack. I thought removing the seats would do the trick, but you make a great point.

Thanks!

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

I can tell this is going to be a painful relationship. I had my Volvo for a week, then the mechanic has had her for a week. Am I the only one going through withdrawels from not having my car to work on?

These cars are addictive! At first it was just a $500 ride. Now I want to do the brakes, tires, suspension, engine, interior. etc, etc, etc.

This car is almost 20 years old and isn't even a turbo. Somebody should have warned me these cars are worse than crack cocaine! :-)

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Been there, done that, I will say that it *can* be done without removing the windshield, but I will never do it that way again. It's very unnerving after spending hours carefully stripping and recovering the headliner, to be bending and twisting it until you're sure it's gonna snap in half, trying all sorts of positions swearing up and down that there's just no way to get it in there until it finally does pop into place. That was with both all the seats as well as the parking brake console removed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, just look through the IPD catalog and in no time at all you'll have a list of hundreds of dollars worth of goodies you want.

Just remember that almost 20 years ago someone plunked down the equivalent of around $35,000 in today's money for that car, they took one heck of a depreciation hit and got it all broken in for you :)

Even if you manage to spend enough that it becomes a $4,000 car, you'll be cruising in comfort and style in your decked out luxury brick for the price of a used Kia.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'd happily spend $35,000 on this 20 year old car. If I could do it one dollar a day for the next 35,000 days...

:-)

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Funny, the people who sell the headliner kits don't seem to mention this. hmmmmmm.

Seriously, I know they want to make the job seem as easy as possible to sell kits. Worst case, cut off the top and make a convertible. ;-)

Reply to
jamiebabineaux