1990 740 no brake lights

Check the earthing (grounding) for the rear light clusters and make sure that both brake light bulbs are OK.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I've got no brake lights except for the top window brake light on my 1990

740. The #4 15 amp fuse is good and the back up lights work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply to
Phil K

See if power is getting to the bulbs. If not, then chances are your bulb failure relay is bad (round red relay in the fusebox "relay city." If power is getting to the back, then you need to inspect/clean/fix the taillight circuit cards, bulb holders and bulbs.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the responses. I changed both bulbs even though the old ones were still good and presto they worked. Thank goodness nothing complicated. I have had problems in the past with the bulbs coming loose in the sockets. I'm always refitting them as the sockets seem worn. maAny way to ke the lights fit tighter? The dash warning light is on so often that I usually ignore that, as all the lights are working most of the time. Again thanks for the info.

Reply to
Phil K

Take out the bulb holder and emove the bulb. Looking at the socket you will see two or three silver metal tabs like petals of a flower around the socket. These are the contacts. These can be bent upwards SLIGHTLY and CAREFULLY which will give better contact. Be sure they are clean as wll as their mating contact surfaces on the taillight itself. Giving them a thing coast of silicone grease can also help avoid oxidation and moisture from interfering with a good electrical contact.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

... or, a "thin coat" would work as well... :-/