1993 240 ignition switch weirdness

My wife's 1993 240 wagon continues to be a source of "entertainment." The previous owners must have done abysmal maintenance.

Today she came in and told me that she couldn't get her key into the ignition switch. I tried and sure enough, the switch wouldn't let the key enter. The two "sliders" wouldn't separate to let the key pass.

I poked around for a bit, without success then tried turning the steering wheel back and forth. The steering locks engaged and then I could insert the key and start the car. So there is at least temporarily a workaround but I am wondering what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim McNamara