1993 240 Wagon Shutter Problem

I have a shutter symptom went moving from a dead stop through 1st gear. The shutter seems to disappear once we get into 2nd gear and I can't say that I notice it in third or overdrive.

I have had the center bearing replaced and am wondering if the drive shaft could be out a quarter, half or three quarters of a turn?

Everything else seems fine, any ideas?

Reply to
KLB

Sorry folks lets try this again Shutter = Shudder (odd vibration)

Reply to
KLB

I've seen this caused by bad U-joints, that's the first thing I'd check.

Reply to
James Sweet

U-Joints seem ok but I will check again just to be sure. Is it critical that one marks drive shaft when replacing center bearing?

Reply to
KLB

Not to that extent. I echo the u-joint concern - if one has a spot where it binds, it will behave like that. Mis-indexing the driveshaft causes a more constant, subtle vibration at higher speeds rather than at lower speeds.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If you inspect the drive shaft closely on either side of the joint at the center support, you will see a small, faintly stamped set of arrows pointing at each other. This was the orientation of the shafts when they were balanced as a unit at the factory. You likely will have to do a lot of cleaning to find the marks. The longitudinal length of each arrow is about 1/2" with often just a single line for the point at a 30* angle. The drive shaft alignment should be: )=====-(|======|, where )and( represents the orientation of the front joint and the forward joint on the front shaft and | represents the opposite joint sections rotated in the same plane by 90*.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks Bob, will start cleaning first chance I get.

Reply to
KLB