2004 S80 Steering Column "Pop"

Hoping someone can help with an issue that I have been experiencing with my new S80. When accelerating from low speed or stop, there is a "popping" or "creaking" sensation in the steering wheel. Most noticeable when making a right hand turn from stop. Seems most pronounced when passengers in the rear. Had a similar problem with a 2000 Dodge Durango which turned out to be an intermediate steering linkage.

Dealer is puzzled and claims that he cannot feel it. Went on a drive along with the shop manager and he is determined to fix, but doesn't know what it may be. Car has 1500 miles on it and this has been there since purchased with 15 miles on it. It is driving me crazy since the car is new.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Car is going back in next Monday for another round of service.

Reply to
SRW

My 99 S80 had a very similar sound when turning right. After it was all said and done the noise was coming from a worn out subframe bushing. That was $165 for parts and labor. Other stuff they found and fixed that could have been related was Bushing Torque Arm, sway bar linkage, inner tie rod. But for sure the $165 repair stopped the noise.

Don

Reply to
Don