240 Blowing oil

My 1983 Volvo 240 is blowing oil from around the timing belt cover. What could be the possible cause or causes of this Any help in this mtter would be excellent

Thanks

Damien

Reply to
Damien

Sounds like a plugged "flame trap" (underneath the intake manifold) and it caused a leaking seal...

Ken Winnipeg

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

A very common problem - the flame trap is plugged, causing crankcase pressure to build up. An incredible amount of oil can be forced out in a very short time; our '85 Volvo expelled about 3 quarts before I could get off the freeway!

Check out

for details. Don't let this go on very long as seals can be pushed out. Most of them can be pushed back in without great disassembly, but better to avoid it. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee