440 immobiliser problem

Hi there,

I have a 1995 440 1.8 si. Last week the alternator died, which meant the battery drained during a journey, and I was unable to start the car after stopping for petrol. I recharged the battery, but found that my main key fob was now unable to lock/unlock the doors.. although the key itself worked fine.

This obviously meant that the immobiliser was stuck on (because the fob is the only way to arm/disarm it). However, I tried the spare fob and it worked without a problem.. so I was able to drive the car to a local garage and get the alternator replaced.

Trouble is, the fob I gave them has also stopped working now.. Which means I have a perfectly fine 440 with a replacement alternator that is stuck in a garage and can't be started. The guy I took it to is scratching his head about this, so I guess he's not an expert.

The batteries in the fobs aren't suspect, and one has had them replaced just to be sure.

So I guess my question is; is there a reprogramming sequence or something that will fix this, or do I have to pay volvo to sort it out?

Note that the immobiliser is the original factory fitted one. There is no alarm.

This is quite urgent, so any help would be appreciated.. I'm not a car guy, so go easy on me if I've missed something really obvious ;)

Cheers,

james.

Reply to
pintsized

Hello there,

We have just lost a set of keys for my wife's 440 1.9 td 1996 model and we managed to get another key cut and obtain another blank remote from a scrappy. We got some information from an Autodata disc concerning the procedure to reactivate a blank fob it did look a bit hit and miss and I was concerned that I might end up in the same situation as yourself. Well... I contacted my local Volvo dealership (uk) and they wanted £46.00+ vat to lift the bonnet and use their magic wand. I found an excellent local independent Volvo Garage called Corner Garage, near Lytham, Lancashire who did their bit of black magic for £10.00 inclusive. At one time he did have both the key fobs NOT working but as he had the original it seemed to him to be no problem. By the way the alarm doesn't work on my wife's car also just the central locking and immobiliser.

Hope this will help.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve 9000

You could try an email to "Honest John", the motoring correspondent on the Saturday Daily Telegraph - he has lots of useful contacts and he often responds by email almost on return. The address is:

snipped-for-privacy@honestjohn.co.uk

He expects full name, address and phone number and doesn't guarantee a reply - but I've found him surprisingly helpful.

Reply to
Roger Hird

Or try the VOC website technical forum. There are loads of guys with a lot of knowledge on there.

is the URL there is a list of sections on the left top of the opening page, click on Community Forums. This will take you to a forum description page where you scroll down the page till you come to a hand pointing to the right which says enter forums. Click on that and you will be on the Forum page. There are Five sections the Fourth one being the Technical Forum. If you register on the forum (top of page) you will be able to not only read but post, edit and contact message posters direct.All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes