850 cabin filter

I have come to learn that my '97 850 does not have a cabin air filter. The dealer tells me it cannot be added.

Anybody with some real experience here?

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Hi, I added one to my 850 with a kit as shown below. Easy and worked like a charm. Good luck, Brad

fcpgroton FCP Groton, LLC

NEW VOLVO 850 Cabin ACC Filter Retrofit Kit OEM

This kit includes:

1 filter casing retainer Volvo # 9488525 1 cabin filter Volvo # 9171296

Easy to follow instructions from Volvo

Fits all Volvo 850 models 93-97

and /70 models to 2000

1993-1997 850/ 70 cars did not come equipped with a cabin filter from the factory though Volvo recommends the installation of this kit in the early cars for two reasons: *Improved interior air quality *Prevention of the accumulation of dust and dirt in the Air Conditioning Evaporator Core.

Such buildup can trap moisture, which can cause the core material to rot. If that happens, the evaporator core will no longer hold system pressure, and it will have to be replaced.

Installs in 45 minutes

Bid with Confidence, 99.9 % Positive Feedback Rating

WE SHIP INTERNATIONALLY AND TO CANADA. Freight to Canada on this auction is $13.25 USD send by postal service via Airmail (4-10 business days).

We at FCP Groton offer a 30 day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your foreign car part, simply return the unused part/parts in the original packaging for a full refund. All returns must be pre approved first by us.

FCP Groton, LLC 734 Poquonnock Road Groton, CT 06340 PHONE:(IN USA) 877 634-0063 (OUTSIDE USA)

860-445-7340 FAX: 860 445-0511 E-MAIL:

begin 666 s.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Mystical

Thank you Brad. BTW, if this is available, apparently with GENUWINE (read overpriced) Volvo parts, why would the dealer tell me it can't be done? Afterall, at their labor rates plus the markup on parts, they'd make a BUNDLE. I don't expect you to know the answer, just felt the need to rant.

Thanks again,

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Well I now know why the dealer said it couldn't be done. I called FCP and the parts are $34US and shipping is $6US. Of course the dealer would have charged mucho more for the parts as evidence the following: I went there today because the recirc switch parts fell out in my hand. Turns out the recirc switch and the AC switch are a single unit

-- a mere $100 US FOR THE PART and $185 for the labor. So long as the AC switch continues to work, I think I'll put a piece of black electrical tape over the recirc switch hole and press on.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

The dealer is an idiot. Volvo has offered a retrofit kit for years for this. It replaces a plastic inlet piece under the passenger side cowl and adds a filter at that point. This was part of the "fix" to improve durability of the A/C evaporators.

John

Reply to
John Horner