'87 240 DL 240 000km --2 problems

1) Sudden loss of power. Have viewed many other posts including
but my problem seems to be unique. While driving, when the engine reaches 2000 RPM suddenly drops to 1000 and will stay there regardless of pressure on accelerator pedal, until I shift up, then happens again. If I let off the accelerator pedal quickly it will sometimes give a tiny backfire. When I start the engine and it idles a little low the chances of this happening is smaller, when it idles perfectly the greater the chances. New plugs & wires, tried 3 or 4 used mass air flows, cleaned throttle body & flametrap, no holes in air tube between MAF and throttle body, O2 sensor good, cat conv hollowed out.

2) In cold weather the rear end makes loud steady noise. The only way to describe it is that it sounds like 2 balloons rubbing together. Sometimes sounds like it is coming from differential sometimes from rear wheel area. But only in cold weather!!!!!

Reply to
whippie7047

R Weinberger

Reply to
R Weinberger

The wiring harness is probably at fault. The insulation cracks where it goes under the intake manifold. Split the sheath on the harness and inspect the wires.

Reply to
Rod Gray