87 240 DL problem...Please read..need help badly!

Hello All!

I'm going crazy and here is why!

My 1987 Volvo 240DL was having a problem starting and it would take many times cranking before it would fire up. The external Fuel pump was also loud and whining.

I replaced the external pump and the starting problem was solved, it fired up instantly every time. I went for a ride and the car goes just fine but I hear the new external pump whining even louder!

I figure I need a new in-tank pump so I go and install a new one.

Now the car will start every time but then stall out instantly, it's not drivable at all and stalls if idling and quickly stalls if I give it any gas. Here's the strange part and I hope someone can help! If I pull the fuse for the intank pump the car runs perfectly but the new external pump is VERY loud. If I put in the fuse for the In-tank pump the car just dies upon startup.

I hope someone can help me. I need this fixed as soon as possible because I take care of an elderly mother that had a stroke. This Volvo is my lifeline and I am stressed beyond imagination.

Thanks to anyone that can help...you'll be saving my life!

Reply to
eCaVeMaN

check the tank vent and make sure the fuel can "vent"...properly...that is...i think you can creat a sort of vacume, it the vents are plugged...i would also check the filters to insure free flow....other than that, i would get it into a good volvo shop...they could find/fix the issue faster than you can... if you have a bit of $$ to spend...is there any smell, or vapors of gas?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Your fuses will need replacing as well ,that is the fuse holders as they go in to meltdown .We had this problem too as well make sure the oxysensor is ok as this causes all sorts of issues .

Reply to
John Robertson

Sounds like the tank pump is not working properly. Did you perhaps reverse the polarity of the new pump? Disconnect the wires. Apply 12 volts to the red-yellow and brown wires, (this should start the tank pump). If it sounds normal, disconnect the hose going into the main pump. Reapply 12 volts to the tank pump while a helper points the hose into a container to catch the gasoline coming out. If things are working correctly, lots of fuel will come out very quickly - don't smoke, work in ventilated conditions etc. etc.

Reply to
Mike F