92 240 GL Wipers not parking, intermittent not working

This started a couple years back when the wipers were frozen down and I hit the switch not realizing that. Now, no intermittent and they do not park.

Is this built into the motor--as a forum member on the internet someplace said--or is this built into the motor?

Thanks!

Reply to
James Sassman

Park is built into the motor, the contacts are under the cover on the gearbox. The intermittant is handled by an electronic relay tucked under the dash somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet

What do you have instead of intermittent wiper, nothing? or little blips of wiper motion every few seconds? The relay referred to by James above, does intermittent by giving the wiper motor a little 'kick', after which the park switch in the motor takes over, feeding a positive supply to the motor until it parks after it's swept the windscreen once, ready for the next little kick. I don't have my 240 car, or manual any more, so I can't help much with which fuses and wires carry the necessary ign +ve's to the intermittent relay and the wiper motor park switch. You said that intermittent ceased to work after you stalled the wiper motor in cold weather, how possible is it that a fuse has failed due to the high current it would have drawn? This would necessarily affect the normal wiper function. I know that the headlamp wiper motors, the door lock motors and window winder motors, all had positive temperature coefficient disks to protect them and the cabling from high stall currents, I don't think the windscreen wiper motor did have a PTC though, meaning that if stalled it will draw a large constant current. BTW ISTR that the park switch works really strangely, when parked the motor is effectively shorted (via a diode?), which means that it stops dead, just when it should, instead of coasting round a bit more due to inertia, as it would do if the +ve supply was merely disconnected.

Ken Phillips

Reply to
Ken Phillips

Oops sorry, I meant to write 'This wouldn't necessarily affect the normal wiper function.' here.

Reply to
Ken Phillips

I know this is silly but the arm isnt loose on the shaft from the strain is it? My sons came loose and all I did was tighten the nut a little when it was in its proper place.

Reply to
John Robertson

This did happen once a while back and I did the same thing: tightened the nut after moving the arm to the proper position.

Thanks for your suggestion and help!

Jim

Reply to
James Sassman

There's no fuse failure as I've recently checked all of them. The actual behavior of the intermittent is as follows: when moving the wiper lever to the intermittent position, the wipers raise to about 2/3's or 3/4's of the normal arc and stop. Moving the wiper lever to the low speed wiping position initiates a continuted sweeping action to the top and back downward--but never to the parking positon.

Since, from other replys to the group and your information, it seems the intermittent actions are shared by the relay and the motor. I plan to replace both since Ebay has a number of them available. I'm just debating new or used but will probably go with new.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
James Sassman

Sounds like the motor is at fault, look at that first, don't bother replacing the relay unless it's still malfunctioning.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ordered a new, after-market wiper motor on Ebay today: $44.90 including shipping and looks, according to the picture, exactly like one on Ebay that was $69.90. Am hoping this works to correct the annoying problem!

Thanks, everyone!

--Jim

Reply to
James Sassman