940 turbo 1995 B230FT excessive fuel consumption

I am getting aroung 17mpg - brit gallons - in urban driving but I have never seen more than 25mpg on a 100 mile drive. The car starts and runs well, has a new air filter and plugs and has no leaks. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
glyn.rudd

If it has an automatic transmission then that sounds pretty reasonable. I don't remember how brittish gallons compare to the gallons we use but I get around 25 US MPG highway in a similar car with a manual gearbox.

Reply to
James Sweet

James, the Imperial gallon is 1.201 US gallons. Your figure of 25 US mpg equates to 30 Imperial mpg which is about right for highway mileage. So Glyn, you need a thorough inlet tract cleanup and possibly new injectors, plus a thorough timing check and remove some of the lead from your right foot! LOL.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes