Antenna replacement on 740 wagon

I'm replacing the electric antenna on my '88 740 wagon with one from IPD. I've read:

the IPD instructions which are a bit confusing. Anyone have any more tips for me before I launch into this project? Thanks much, Jay

Reply to
Jay Epstein

Ha, a drummer with good taste in cars!

Yesterday, I got a whole assembly out of a junker '86 740 and took it apart to see how it works. They're not too complicated. I don't think you need to do that in most cases though. From my understanding, you just pull the old mast out the top, then put the new one in with the teeth on the nylon strap facing the right direction. Let the motor pull it back in when you turn the radio off. This can be complicated if a piece of the nylon strap has broken off and gotten stuck in there. In that case, I think you do need to remove the power unit and take it apart.

My last tip is to not spend $26 for the mast at IPD when you can get it for $16 here:

See ya in RMMP!

Bob W. Sixteen Volvos and counting

Reply to
Bob Wennerstrom

Hi Bob, This is my 2nd 740 wagon, w/ 180K - mostly MY miles. Yes, this is the iron horse that carries the Gretsches to all my gigs. Perfect for me! I never want a different ride. Unfortunately, the IPD antenna has already arrived, & I can hardly wait to try to fit it in, much less return it (paying for postage) & buy another just to save the Hamilton. Nuts, I'll just go without that new snare head for an extra month!

Thanks for the tips. Jay

Bob Wennerstrom wrote:

Reply to
Jay Epstein

Replaced it just now - about an hour project. It works perfectly, but I ran into a lot move involved scenerio than the below web sites describe. I had to remove the long silver sheath into which the mast descends to pound out the old one and install the new. Next time around, I'll be able to save more time & money. Thanks again, Bob. See you in RMMP.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Epstein