any recommendation for tire retailer in Toronto area?

Being reasonably sure we don't expect any more snow for the season, it's time to get new tires for my '99 V70. I have skimmed past postings for recommendations on tire models, but would welcome any comments re: tire dealers/retailers/outlets around Toronto, Ontario. Some place with a good selection and reasonable prices. They do not need to rebate house-branded scrip.

I expect to get new rims, too, and leave the stock steel rims on the snows. Seriously, would I reasonably expect to notice any difference with alloy rims? The car gets mostly light around-town driving with a few long higway runs each year.

All comments will be appreciated.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

Mags are more sensitive to potholes than stell rims. It's easier to damage mags. And they cost many times the price of steel rims. They also look nice...

I don't know if they are still sold, but I use Michelin Energy MXV4+ on one , while using Nokian on the other. I would recommend both. Nokian are really something. For winter I use Hakka' 1, not sure, but I think the summer ones are NRH2. And the Michelin MXV4+ are replace with Gislaved Frost in winter.

Nokian's Hakka are VERY noisy, but might very be the BEST winter tire on Earth. There's always a trade off. Hakka' Q are strictly for ice driving. You'll burn them in one season if you drive mostly on dry pavement.

If you c>Being reasonably sure we don't expect any more snow for the season,

Reply to
Elizabeth

its not so much the tires, its the person piloting them. There is no law against stupidity. When the weather is bad, put your lights on and slow down.

cheers! steve

Reply to
steve sedlis

I went to Tirecraft... it's near the 400 and steeles area (there's a large nightclub close-by... I think Palatzo it's called)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

There's a lot to do with the tires, I had to avoid a car that crossed into my lane, well I ended up with $2000 damage to my car (replaced the whole front right suspension and control assembly, and rim) because my cheap tires didn't have sufficient grip on a tarmac road in dry weather to perform the emergency maneuver I needed to do. I had performed tighter maneuvers with better tires in my younger days (at my own stupid will) and no problems, the tires let me down.... They also stopped poorly in the rain, and the car was almost un-driveable in snow.... Having to drive so incredibly slow due to your tires is a dangerous thing too.

Reply to
Rob Guenther