95 driver side exterior door handle broken

The plastic lever part broke out of my exterior drivers side door handle. The lock itself is ok, still locks/unlocks ok from the inside. Should I try to epoxy it back on? (If so with what compound?) Should I try to find another one at a junkyard? It looks like I'd have to pull the whole door apart to remove the door handle. Will I be able to pop the lock out of the old handle and into the new one or will I have to get the new one re-keyed? Thanx for your help

Reply to
Jim Pattillo

I have the exact same problem on a '94 Camry, though there is enough of a knub left to operate the door. I don't think any epoxy or glue is going to hold it, almost certainly nothing that will not leave a large bead on the crack line. Jb Weld would probably do it. You could probably sand and fashion the entire handle shape from the stuff, but it would not look very good.

A mechanic friend told me that the handle is not that expensive, which I find hard to believe. I will price one before too long.

He also said that it is not that hard ro replace it, but he is a mechanic. Still, I have done door handles before and it usually is not that difficult to get the interior panel off and gain access. One problem, if it is one for you, is that the piece will not come painted, it will be black according to this person. I will also verify this when I call the stealership. Black will work fine with me on a 13 to 14 year old dark blue Camry, but it might not look too good on against a color like white.

I am also curious about whether the lock can be swapped out. I am guessing probably so. When I call for a price, I will ask if a new lock and key are included.

That probably was not much help, but I will let you know when I find out more. If anyone else has the answers now, you will be helping two people out. :-)

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I had the same thing happen to me on my '95 Camry.

I tried to re-attach the piece with Epoxy, but that did not work.

I finally cut a small piece of metal (about 1 inch tall x 4 inches wide x

1/8" thick), drilled two holes into this plate - then tapped 2-each #8-32 holes into what was left of the handle area of the door.

I then attached this plate to this area using 8-32 pan head screws. (I also trimmed this plate to look like the handle and painted it the color of my car)

It's been working fine for about 6 months now.

Good luck!

Reply to
Authorized User

Look on AutoZone's site for the free repair guide:

It's hard to tell but the picture may show that the lock cylinder is independent of the handle assembly.

Price it out at the dealer first and then find one at a junk yard for comparison. I'd never underestimate the usefulness (or cost effectiveness) of junk yards.

Jim Pattillo wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Save yourself the trouble of checking the junk yards for a handle that may break next month. The handle is not that expensive BUY a new one

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Guarantee epoxy won't fix it - there are aftermarket ones available.Lock cylinder can be reused.

Reply to
Wolfgang