Broken key in door lock

I have a 490 GLE estate, put the key into the door lock last night and it just fell in half. Does anyone have any tips to get into the car. I have ordered a new lock set but have no idea how to get in without breaking a window. Thanks in advance

Taff............

taff

use spare key to get in passenger door???

Reply to
Mal B

Does your service key open the tailgate lock? if so you have your way in. If not your insurance company will know someone who can so that they don't have to pay out for broken glass.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Spare key ! ! Ah well therein lies the problem, the spare key that I never got around to getting you mean, a bit like the last time that I lost my keys which had the spare key on the same key ring. ( embarrassed look)

Taff...........

taff

Bought the car from ebay with only one key, and the spare that I was going to get. Doh! ! ! ! ! ! Also only third party insurance which does not cover this sort of problem. When the new locks go on, so does a remote locking system and a spare key hidden inside the car. Did someone say something about a horse and a stable door ???????

Taff........

taff

Call a locksmith. If you have AAA, call them. It's covered.

- Seth Jackson

Songwriting & Music Business Info:

Seth Jackson

Being a 490, I presume you're somewhere in Europe or the UK. In the US, most tow trucks carry a device known as a "Slim Jim", basically a thin, flat piece of steel which is used by sliding it down between the window and weaterstripping, hooking a cutout in the side of the Slim Jim onto the door latch mechanism, and pulling or pushing as appropriate to actuate it.

You may be able to pull the broken-off piece out with a pair of tweesers or very fine forceps; you should be able to then take the pieces to a locksmith and get a new key made.

Alternatively, you might be able to take a small piece of wire, put a drop of super glue on it, and press it against the end of the broken piece, allowing you to pull it out. Then, off to the locksmith again...

Once you get a good key or the locksets are replaced, make several spares--the expense is trivial compared to what you're facing now.

Keep one in your wallet, a couple in your house, maybe one at your office.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Reply to
torpainter

Easiest way to get into the car is to push the remaining piece of the key into the lock and then turn it! The lock should hopefully still open as it will still have the 'whole' key in the lock.

As for replacing the key, once you are in take the door apart, remove the lock aand take it to a locksmith and they should be able to remove the broken piece, then make a new key (or even rekey the lock).

Reply to
AB

You should simply call a locksmith. They can remove the key from the lock and open the car. This is not that difficult, and you do not need to replace all the locks.

Norm

taff wrote:

Reply to
Norman Koller