Changing the oil

...should be easy, right? But the bloody thing has an 8mm (maybe) square socket in the sump plug, a tool for which isn't available from any tool shop around here. Haven't tried a volvo dealer yet but don't want to give the satisfaction. Just wanted to say... geeze.

Reply to
jg

Another of the joys of the V6.

Reply to
Mike F

Can't you just use your ratchet with no socket on it? My honda's trannie plug is like that, no socket required, just the ratchet or a breaker bar.

disallow

special volvo wrench required...it keeps up the revenue stream.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

They are only 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" (and come in some bigger sizes). 5/16" would have been about right but there is no such.

Reply to
jg

Find a local machine shop and have them make you a socket, or do it yourself by filing down a short grade-8 bolt with a hand file or bench grinder. It'll cost you only a couple bucks.

Reply to
James Sweet

Find a short piece of square bar stock that will fit it, and apply a Crescent wrench.

Then borrow a car and go buy a conventional drain plug and replace it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks you all for the suggestions folks, I got a 5/16" worn lathe tool from a mate. But it was really hard from good local toolshops and a volvo dealer didn't want to know... they must expect the car to be scrapped after the 10 years support quoted. Good advert for a new one. not.

Reply to
jg

Volvo does not make a tool for the drain plug on the V-6 Motors any good auto parts store should be able to supply you with the correct Allen key to remove the drain plug

Reply to
Glenn Klein

I would have thought so and can believe there are better sops than here in western australia, but none of the local shops had anything. Repco told me there was a special volvo tool but they probably wouldn't sell one to me.

Reply to
jg

Sure it's a pig of a motor & possibly the worst thing volvo ever did, but you choose 25 year old cars on different criteria. This is a fairly minor problemette specially when the whole thing cost less than a head job on a Camry. Other cars & motors have foibles too, this newsgoup is quite active with peoples' problems but the v6 is barely figures... you'd wonder if any volvo really is that flash based on some stories here.

Reply to
jg

If there is a special Volvo tool you can purchase from the dealers part department I will check this with the parts department on Thursday & post back with the part # & approximate cost Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Why not try a Renault or Peugeot dealer? They both used the same V6 motor.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Your frustration continues as I found this discontinued (no replacement) item:

8 mm appears to be correct, according to the description at the bottom. Yahoo shopping indicates they were about $10 US for the set, but it finds no other hits on the part number... ditto Google. Kd-tools.com does not list it in their catalog. I suspect KD tools was a sole source and they have stopped production.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Again thanks for your trouble Michael, Glen & etc. the lathe tool from my mate should work but haven't tried it yet. Meanwhile I might have set a record for longest thread for the smallest bit for a volvo?

Reply to
jg

That's a really smart suggestion although pretty obvious didn't occur to me. That will be my next resort for sure if my lathe cutter doesn't work.

Reply to
jg

You can get them off tool trucks. Around here there are Snap-On and MAC tool trucks, they probably won't have it on board, but they'd be able to get it. Or to the "quickie oil change place" method - Vice grips!

Reply to
Mike F

We have snapon too, you have to be somewhere they go (I work at home as a draftsman) & they don't seem to have an address in this state, they also don't seem to have much of a website. Vicegrips are one of my tools of choice but this is a female plug... double adaptor so to speak.

Reply to
jg