Help prove my father wrong with oil changing 5000m or 3000m?

I have changed the oil on all of the Volvos listed below at between 10,000 ad

15,000 US miles. The 86 240 was running fine , when I traded it at 300,000+ miles. I used Fram filters every oil change and Texaco (havoline) oil. Actually I have never had any oil related engine wear problems with any of my Volvos. What more could one ask from an engine. The B230 engine is TOUGH.

Al

P S my mechanic says I should not buy a 960 because the engine would not be as foregiving of my "Neglect"

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

It won't... but it'll also provide a lot more power and a smoother ride. I like the bullet-proof-ness of the B230's but the 960 is a nice car, oil and filters are cheap, I'd rather spend an extra $40 a year for the peace of mind and not cut the margine too close.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh no. Not taking sides against your old man!

I let my '99 V70 make the decision, and it usually blinks that service light at me after roughly 9000 miles. I mostly travel on highways and it's pretty flat here.

That being said, I can't imagine that changing the oil more frequently can harm the car.

Chris

Reply to
Half a Bee

At first I thought I needn't post since everyone will likely be around the same oil change intervals as me...I guess not.

My engine is a B21F with Turbo but it is 21 years old. I change my oil ever 2000mi at which time it comes out BLACK. Because it's an oil-cooled turbo (and I've had to pay for a rebuild) I'm very paranoid about this.

My $0.02. blurp

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:01:04 +0800, the illustrious Half a Bee favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp