high wattage backup lamps

We were talking about high watt bulbs on dipped headlights.On full beam it´s just to blast of as many watts you want. Deer just make a dent in the fender, here in sweden we have to watch out for moose and reindeer (stupid animal)

Reply to
JohanE

dear friends, PLEASE be careful as you fiddle with your auto lighting - become familiar with your state and local regulations, and also be aware, that if you try to increase wattge, you will most likely need heavier wiring and relays than the OWM provided. Otherwise, that strange smell you detect will be your wiring fizzling.

Nowadays here in the US, people are putting in red and blue marker lights and windshield nozzle LED lights. Unfortunately, since they face forward, the drivers get pulled over by their local police, who arent smiling. Here in Mass., the offense will cost you $300 plus points. Remember, just because its in the store doesnt mean its legal.

Steve

Reply to
steve sedlis

There's been lots of discussion, but I still haven't gotten an answer on the reverse lights, I guess nobody's tried it?

Reply to
James Sweet

This weekend a deer killed three people. It steped in front of a truck. The truck hit it and it flew in the front windshield and out the back window of an oncoming pickup truck. It killed everyone in the pickup including a child. They were decapitated. That is quite a dent.

I think an elephant would have caused fewer deaths since it couldn't fit through the windshield.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

And the brighter the headlights the stupider and more dazed the deer will act. They always seem to jump in front of the vehicle if the high beams are on. The best defense is to slow down as soon as you see them and simultaneously switch to low beams.

Reply to
Spanky

They do exist but I made my own using a normal bass and soldering in a quartz 55w globe using Silastic to secure it in place globe to base I later found out they are even available here in Australia .IPD sell them on the United states market .Made a difficult parking spot easy at night time .

Reply to
John Robertson

No melted lenses then? I was noticing Home Depot has inexpensive halogen bulbs, 10, 20 and 50W 12v for low voltage outdoor lighting, I thought it'd be pretty easy to do what you did as I have several burned out bulbs lying around that I could take the bases off.

Reply to
James Sweet

Be careful, non automotive bulbs won't last long in a car. A cars voltage is typically 14.4 volts, not 12. The vibration is more severe than "rough service". I think such consumer lighting would be a waste of money in a car unless you can use automotive bulbs in it.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Possibly, though halogen bulbs are pretty teeny with relatively heavy filaments, I suspect the lifetime would at least be reasonable, we're talking bulbs that get perhaps 20 minutes of use per year.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
electricsheep