How safe is "limp-home" mode?

My Dads volvo (1993 240e) has had a stalling problem for ages now. One journey it will work fine, but if he does another journey quickly after (like popping into a shop) then the car stalls on the way home, could stall

2-3 times even only going a couple of miles.

We have replaced lots of parts and the final part to try is replacing the air mass meter (diagnostics do indicate 1.2.1 air mass problem).

Looking on this website...

says if the car runs okay while the AMM is disconnected, then it needs replacing. If the car runs with it disconnect it is running in "Limp Home Mode". basically what I would like to know is how safe is it to run the car in limp home mode? Wondering whether it would be alright to use the car for a couple of days without the AMM attached just to see if it runs okay.Thanks.

Reply to
Beck

Volvo 240s have a limp home mode? I highly doubt that...

It may be limping, but I don't think they intentionally did anything (unless it's stated in the manual) for this to occur.

Modern vehicles that use bus systems are capable of doing this, under very special circumstances.

I would not drive it around with the AMM disconnected, could affect catalytic converter in the end... super heat it.

Reply to
M.R.S.

They do indeed have a "limp home mode" - just do a search on "AMM" here. It's not wise to use it for long, though, as the car tends to run rich, and will foul the plugs and the expensive O2 sensor in pretty short order.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Thankyou both for the replies. Have ordered an AMM should be here tomorrow. Its only second hand but it does come with 3 month warranty. Cannot afford a new one. lol Anyway hopefully this will fix the problem. We have replaced so many parts trying to find out the problem, there comes to a point where the car would have to go in and see if mechanics can sort it out.

Reply to
Beck