hydrogen into 240?

a friend and I are looking to experiment with an electrolysis cell to produce Brown's gas (hydrogen and oxygen together), to be fed into an automobile engine. We were thinking of using my '89 volvo 240, which is fuel-injected. The question I have is, should I feed the gas in AHEAD of the air mass meter, or AFTER it (into the intake manifold, for example).... I can think of good and bad arguments for both, so am wondering what experience anyone else has had....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Study propane installations.

Post throttlevalve is more complicated due to manifold vacuum. Before or after the AMM doesn't matter much, a backfire goes all the way ;) (but hydrogen bangs are not very powerfull) Note where the extra air for cold idle is coming from, this has to be routed post fuel inlet, to avoid leaning out with pure air during warmup.

Reply to
M-gineering

If you are talking about a stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen (so that it could burn without added air) you definitely want to go between the AMM and the engine. The AMM says how much fuel to add for the amount of air coming in, so it would run too rich if the "air" were actually another fuel/air mixture.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You'll probably want an arrangement similar to an LP gas installation. Those normally shut off the injection system when you want to run on LP and use a special carburetor for the LP gas.

Reply to
James Sweet