Immobiliser s40

Does anyone know how to disable the immobiliser in a 1999 s40? My key chip isn't working and transmitting to the immobiliser and I can't get the car started.

TIA

Reply to
John Smith

If it were that easy, there'd be no point in having the immobilizer!

It is not possible to bypass or defeat the immobilizer. Try the spare key, or replace the pickup coil around the ignition switch to effect a repair.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Gee thanks Tim, I know who to come to when I need a lecture in future... You must have lots of friends!

Reply to
John Smith

Tim is stating what should be but is apparently not obvious.

Reply to
Roadie

Why should it be obvious? You can turn off an airbag in a car, why not an immobiliser? If my key doesn't work due to the chip being faulty, why shouldn't I be able to turn it off with a code or something? It's only my car, why should I complain about not being able to start it? I don't care about the theft deterrent - who in their right mind would steal my car, a 10 year old S40? I just want it to go and not have to pay a dealer a fortune for a new key just because a chip fails to work.

Is that too much to ask?? Obviously it must be and I get lectured to boot. Kind of sorry I asked the question now.

Reply to
John Smith

I'm sure you know the difference between a feature that we want to selectively disable and one that it makes no sense to selectively disable. Said more directly what's the purpose of an anti-theft system if there is a simple override?

I suggest that you take your car and wallet to the nearest dealer and get the problem fixed properly.

Reply to
Roadie

"John Smith" escreveu na mensagem news:46ebd45b$0$1025$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

I had the same problem with a 850 T5 and all that was required to disable the immobilizer was to remove a fuse. It was the fuse of interior lights and automatic doors open. Maybe in S40 is the same.

The problem is that all other features of such fuse will gone, but the car will start.

Reply to
JM Albuquerque

A seemingly fair question. Like the damned Volvo radio. Why would anyone want to steal that except if they need something to stand on to reach a high shelf? The radio code requirement is ridiculous too.

It doesn't necessarily need to be something easy, but there should be some sort of bypass procedure. Like, say, "lean on the horn for 90 seconds and flash the highbeams 100 times", since that procedure might deter a would-be thief too.

Reply to
blurp

Thanks JM - thats the type of answer I was hoping to hear.

Really appreciate it.

best regards, John

Reply to
John Smith