Fiesta immobiliser

Hi My daughter's Fiesta 93 1.3 has developed a problem. The immobiliser (chip in the key) does not work most of the time. You have to turn the ignition on and off a few times before it allows the car to be started. It happens with various keys. Anyone have any experience of this? Thanks Dave

Reply to
DC

You sure its not the starter motor on the way out?

Reply to
Joe

Does it happen more often at one location?

IOW, do the keys work anywhere?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

the early type of immobiliser(PATS)was a saparate small black box that would often burn out. The later type is combined within the PCM im sure yours is the early type,since the problem happens on all keys its unlikely to be a key problem which leaves 3 items..

1)the transceiver ring (around the lock) 2)the wiring going to the module(unlikly since it will restart) 3)the module(located in the footwell)however it will have to be reproggrammed by a dealer for the keys memory
Reply to
ford_technical_

oops forgot to ask when it doe'st start is the PATS light flashing like mad? . if it is then its a pats problem, if the light works normally then it's just a none start check the starter(or the power going to it)as joe said

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. When the problem happens the light flashes. It happens everywhere. If I get a tranceiver ring from a scapyard, will it need to be reprogrammed or does the code come from the ECU module? Dave

Reply to
DC

reprogrammed

No.

The code comes from the Key- the transceiver ring is just an aerial.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , DC writes

There's a circular aerial around the ignition lock barrel which reads the key chip. It's connected by a small multi-plug. When mine started playing up just like yours, simply unplugging and reconnecting cured it permanently.

Reply to
Keith

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but no joy still. I have changed the tranceiver for a known to be good spare and re-progammed the keys. The problem is still there. Also, dont know if it's linked, the alarm goes off sometimes for no reason. Any ideas or am I looking at the ECU? Dave

Reply to
DC