Maximum Age/Mileage Question on 240 series

I've begun looking for another 240 (it has been over a year since I gave up restoring my 264 due to extreme frame corrosion). Considering the life expectancy of those motors, what is too old in mileage? I found a 245 (1981) nearby and the seller is asking $400, it has almost

235,000 miles but also has some body and interior issues (nor was I able to test it; they didn't have the keys). Any advice rendered would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

There is really no answer to this question, these cars are all old enough now that mileage is virtually irrelevant, as well as motors and drivetrain components are cheap and plentiful. What you want to look for is condition, particularly of the body and other parts that are not easily replaceable. I would take a car in really nice cosmetic shape, no rust, with a half million miles and completely trashed motor over one with 50K but mediocre body any day hands down. It's easy to change a motor, but bodywork and a good paint job will cost a fortune and may never be quite right.

As far as life expectancy of the motors, the one in my mom's '86 which was bought new and has never been opened up is pushing up on 300K and runs very well despite years of neglect back when it had become a bit of a beater, and I've heard of several that had passed 400K, though I've also seen a few that were tired after 120K. Too many factors to predict, it's like predicting your own lifespan.

That said, for 400 bucks what do you expect? That's essentially zero as far as cars go, you will spend more than that fixing up even a generally well maintained old car to reliable daily driver status.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh, don't get me wrong, for $400, it is a steal. I know that the engines in the 240 series can go for scarily long distances. Just wanted something like a consensus. As for the car, probably bowing out of the deal. Haven't heard from them, it is a good distance away as is (I traveled almost 70 miles to check it out only to discover they didn't even have the keys; some sort of heads-up would have been nice). But thanks James, I appreciate the input.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Well no matter, these things are still plentiful, another will turn up. Generally the motor is good for at least 300K, if well maintained, you'll go through more than one set of interior parts before the motor is worn out. Biggest thing to watch out for is rust, floor pans, rocker panels, doors, a spot of surface rust is not necessarily the end of the world, but once rot starts, it spreads like cancer. Rust is the big deal breaker for me, most anything else can be fixed.

Reply to
James Sweet