No cranking, all of a sudden

Just took my 91 740 wagon to the store. Went in. Came back out. Starter will not work. Nothing happens when I turn the key. A few gauges jump when I turn the key, but nothing else. The door chime rings with the door open, so I guess the battery did not die all of a sudden.

Could this be a fuse?

I tried it in park. I tried it in neutral. I jiggled the shifter around.

Any ideas?

Reply to
doofy

Jiggle the battery terminals. The have to make a GOOD contact.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

That's possible. The radio will not come on. The power door locks work, though sludgy. I plugged a small air compressor into the cigarette light, and it worked, though sluggish.

I put a tester across the terminals, and it seems to have full voltage.

Why won't the radio come on? That's very low voltage.

Reply to
doofy

Could be. Find the main fuse and reseat it.

Could be the battery; they can fail suddenly--could be the alternator or charging system failing to charge the battery. Or a bad connection.

You need to test the battery under load; check the voltage across the terminals without a load first--you should see about 12.6V. If you see significantly less (11.5V or less) either it's not charged or it's bad.

Now, turn on the headlights and check the voltage--if it's dropped below

11V, you most likely have a bad battery.

If the battery voltage isn't dropping, test for differences between the positive terminal and the connector on the positive cable, or from the negative terminal to the chassis. If there's more than 0.5V, you may have a bad cable.

Try borrowing a battery; or jump starting. Also, most parts places can test a battery for you (and usually will for free).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I suspect the ignition switch itself is bad, it could also be the battery cable or even the battery itself. The radio is not any more low voltage than anything else in the car, it's all 12V nominal. It's a low current load, but if the voltage is below a certain point it won't power up.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had the same type of problem -- bad battery. Under no load it was

11.5, under load of the key turning - 5.6 volts. Changed the battery ( 2 days left in replacement warranty) and all better.
Reply to
online drifter

Well, thanks everyone for your feedback. Under load, the battery was about 6-8 volts. Replaced it and it cranked right up. So, unless there's some other fault that killed the battery, I'm good to go.

Reply to
doofy