Question on turbo wear

I have an '87 740 Turbo with 170K miles . It runs fine with good power. I am noticing some small oil leaks from the front of the turbo. I have never rebuilt a turbocharger, but I read the piece on the Net describing the process. Doesn't seem too crazy. My question is , what wears on the turbo? Bearings , seals, the impeller itself? If you just put bearings and seals, will it have less power than the complete kit? Thanks for your help, Richard .

Reply to
R Weinberger

Bearings and seals to start with, if ignored the turbines and housing can wear too.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
electricsheep

How much work is it to replace the bearings and impeller and how much was the cartridge kit?

Thanks.

Reply to
JW

Reply to
electricsheep

A little oil seepage from the turbo, while not ideal, is fairly normal. Especially if it's not enough to drip, (or only drip slowly), and the turbo is otherwise working fine, monitor the leak and save your bucks. Often minor leaks on the intake side can be "fixed" by changing the rubber hoses which tend to allow the oil to seep through as they age.

Reply to
Mike F