1991 740 Turbo Questions

Hi all, my name is Bill. I've been a Saab owner for years now, but my

900s died, and I am thinking about switching over to Volvo. I have a down payment on a 1991 Black 740 Turbo. I've never owned a Volvo before, so be gentle. The car has 146k miles, and appears to be in very decent shape minus a cracked taillight. I know there is plenty of life left in this thing, however I'm concerned that if the turbo unit went, it'd be a very costly repair? In the event that this happened, how much would a repair cost?

Also, are there any other things to look for for this particular year/model?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
billfarrell

A turbocharger costs between $300 and $600 to have rebuilt, plus R&R labor unless you do it yourself. It's really not something I'd worry about though, I have about 280K on the turbo in my 740 and it's still working. Run synthetic oil and change it regularly and you should be fine.

My ex had a classic 900s and it was a fantastic car, I've actually considered getting a Saab 900 Turbo at some point, both that and the 740 are unique and really well engineered vehicles each in their own way. I love the way the engine and transmission are integrated on the 900 with the gearbox forming the oil pan and the clutch right out on the front where it's easy to get at.

Reply to
James Sweet