replace 2 tires 245

Need to replace 2 tires on 1985 245. should the new ones go the the front or back on a RWD car?

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Depends upon who you ask. Personally, I want the new ones on the front, as that's where I control the car.

Some shops are insisting that the new ones go on the back based upon some studies that nobody can seem to find a copy of.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Reply to
Mike F

Well, the test was on a car with front wheel drive. Nevertheless, I have been told that regardless of whether RWD or FWD, the best tires go on the rear wheels. If you drive so fast in bad weather that you loose grip on your less good frontwheels, you are more likely to still have grip with your better rear tires. If you put the new tires in the front, youre most likely to have NO grip whatsoever once your front weels start to skid.

/ Johan

Reply to
Johan Plane

In article , Johan Plane wrote: [ ... ]

Meaning, in a RWD car, you get pushed along with no control. Anyone thinking this is a good idea is insane.

However, with the new tires on the front of a RWD, the rear wheels will lose grip well before the fronts, and I'll have control over what forward motion I have. I consider this a desirable situation.

Putting the new tires on the rear wheels of a RWD car is a bad idea, and basing the decision on a single test using a situation not found in normal driving and not on a RWD vehicle is foolish at best.

Most recommendations about how to deal with skids while driving (lock down the brakes and wait until you hit something and stop) assume the driver is a total idiot. I know how to steer into a skid and counter it before it becomes a disaster.

On a FWD car with an idiot driving, having the newer tires on the back may help protect them from themselves by acting as an anchor. I'm neither an idiot nor driving a FWD car, and I'll have my newer tires on the front.

On your car, do as you wish.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

You seem to assume that the driver continues to hold down the pedal when skidding. Any good and experienced driver would let go of the throttle if front wheels start to skid. If your frontwheels loose it, in this country, you're recommended to KEEP YOUR FOOT AWAY FROM THE BRAKE. Just put your gear in neutral and let the speed drop until you get a grip again, this of course assuming that you keep track and you're just surfing so to say, and haven't started spinning or heading towards disaster. Any experienced driver knows that.

Johan

Reply to
Johan Plane