resistors in wires to in tank fuel pump?

1990 740GL with the Regina single pump fuel injection system. Developed intermitent problems with the fuel pump not running and when I pulled the pump found that the positive wire had gotten hot enough to burn through the shrink wrap that is installed over the resistor which is soldered to the pump. I've never seen a setup like this before and wondered if anyone else had seen this. I'm thinking maybe some shade-tree wannabe put these resistors on here thinking it would improve the mileage (no happening). I'm including a link to a picture of it on geocities (apologies for the ads, can't pay for the premium page there). If you've seen this before or if you know if these resistors are supposed to be there, please respond. Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/P5190992.jpg
Reply to
Charles Marshall

Have you measured that with a meter? I was just wondering if it's a choke and not a resistor?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I do not know this system, but that looks more like electronic noise suppressor coil to me. That is thick copper wire wound on a ferrite core, and has no significant DC resistance. The overheating may be due to a short cirquit (to the "ground") in the pump, or even more likely to a damaged wire at the connection.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

You're right, it's a choke. I soldered the wire to the pump terminal and put it back together, but still no go. Gonna have to replace the pump I reckon.

Reply to
Charles Marshall

You're right about it being a noise filter. I put soldered the wire to the pump and put it back together and still no go so apparantly the pump has gone out.

Reply to
Charles Marshall

Well, since you've got the pump in your hand, what happens if you apply

12V directly to it? Those chokes are only to keep electrical noise (for the radio) to a minimum. (Running the pump dry will kill it, but it won't hurt for a couple of seconds.)
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the help guys, I replaced the pump and I'm back on the road.

Later

Reply to
Charles Marshall