S60 Headlights

I have a 2002 S60. Is it unusual to have gond through 2 headlight bulbs so quickly? (3,700 miles)

Reply to
bob

Yes, unusual, in my experience (2001 2.4T, almost 50K miles, over 3.5 years). We've had one headlight go out, one taillight. In both cases the dealer replaced all headlights, all taillights, under warranty, no cost.

However, I think you're not alone--there are others with stories of frequent lamp replacements.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Seems to me that this is an issue long since resolved. Our 98 V70XC got new front turn lights (socket and reflector) under warranty. At the time, headlights were suffering, as well, but there was no official recall, as there was with the turn light units. After 98(?) no further mention. From replacement to today, no further prob.

Our 02 S60AWD is now 2.5 years old and has had no bulb failure. Since it's now a computer issue, I've left the daylight operation of the lights alone, so they have a lot of hours on them.

The earlier problem with the turn lights was just plain bad design. The contacts on the bulbs *and* the socket were of cylindrical section, so the actual point of contact was just that, a "point." The spot current flow when the bright elements were invoked must have been astronomically high. Both bulb and socket contacts were significantly "blue" from the heat when they were replaced.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a 2002 and had to replace four bulbs so far. This is a long standing issue with Volvo that won't go away for some reason.

Reply to
Jeffrey Beshore