soundproofing a 240, where to start? HELP please.

I love my 81 240 but it sure is noisy for long trips. If I have around a hundred bucks and about 5 hours to spend, where should I concentrate my noise reduction efforts to get the max dB reduction for the buck? Hood? Firewall? Floor? Doors? I heard there are some low priced home repair materials that work nearly as well as expensive sound deadening products. Any clues or suggestions?

Reply to
BOEING377

assuming that the noise isn't from something easy to fix, like a bad muffler or exhaust pipe, I've always thought that putting some carpeting on or in place of the headliner would make for good soundproofing! Never tried it, but would be cheap, relatively easy, and probably would look good if done properly! Also, might put fabric or sheepskin seat covers on, if you have the vinyl.

Reply to
Frank Furter

I'm afraid for a hundred bucks and five hours of work, you aren't going to get very far, but there are ways to lessen the noise in the early 240s. Check out the Hood Quiet Kit from IPD

specifically,
3&NodeIDh8&RootIDb9. If that is too expensive, go to a bone yard and snag the hood blanket froma turbo model. You will have to come up with some fasteners to attach it toyour hood, as the originals are usually destroyed during removal. I get themfrom old SAABs.

There are also the Dynamat/Tacmat/Dynashield products that go a long way to reducing interior noise,

'25&RootIDb9. These involve removing the seats and carpet and , with experience, can beaccomplished in a relatively short time. If you have a manual transmission,check the condition of the shifter boot. Adding the optional leather covercan reduce tranny noise a bit, and there is a foam insert that goes betweenthe tranny and the shifter that will reduce noise even further. You can always turn up the stereo ;-)

Reply to
don hodgdon