Speed Sensor Advice Needed

The speed sensor on my 1990 240 wagon needs to be replaced. (The computer gives the

2-1-4 code and there are other symptoms.) The problem is that it is rusted in. The mechanics tell me that if the they can't get it out or if it breaks off, they'll have to pull the transmission which will cost about $300. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to maximize the chances of getting it out.

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
George

Have you contemplated using a torch to heat it up, naturally that would damage the sensor but isn't it bad anyway? Dan

Reply to
danyelita

The first thing I would do is to soak the area around the sensor with a good quality lubricant to try to help loosen the sensor if this fails you will have to bite the bullet & have the transmission removed to replace the bracket if you are lucky & remove the sensor without breaking the bracket upon reinstallation place a small dab of anti seize around the plastic body of the sensor

Reply to
G Klein